Four Seasons of Loneliness with J. Walter Freiberg III
In This Episode…
- What “feeling lonely” really tells you
- Why loneliness is a serious public health problem
- How to make and restore connections to old and new friends
Ways to Listen to this Episode:
- Use the player above to listen/download the episode from this page
- Listen on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music or Stitcher Radio (don't forget to rate, review and subscribe!)
Loneliness is a sensation like hunger or thirst. It's a sensation of inadequate connection.
As of 2012, more than 1/4 of U.S. households are one-person households.
Chronic loneliness also makes you sicker (diabetes, high blood pressure, Alheizmer's disease) and higher mortality. The cure requires no medicine and doesn't cost money.
What You Can Do
To combat loneliness, maintain closer connections, and start reaching out to friends and loved ones (calling those who you haven't seen or spending time with them) more regularly.
Take the initiative to reproduce communal contacts. Join groups at a community organization based on a hobby or cause (like at a church, the Y or a Meetup) on purpose. It's not hard to find new contacts, but it takes diligence to seek them out and nurture them.
Connect with My Guest
J. Walter Freiberg, JD, Professor, Author
Links and Resources
Ask and Share!
Ask questions and share your feedback:
- Comment on the show notes (below this post)
- Tweet me @DareeAllen quoting #KickinitwithDaree
- Email Kickinit [at] DareeAllen [dot] com
Clicking on the graphic above will take you to my Patreon page, where you can commit to be a sponsor of this show in varying amounts.
You can opt to donate one-time production credits to support this podcast using the link below. These one-time credits do not expire, and are an optimal way to support the post production of podcasts you enjoy... like mine! - Donate for Podcast Production Credits
Exclusive Podcast Content!
Get special clips just for my loyal listeners, and learn how to create your own podcast with my free checklist!